Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lazy Days of Summer

These warm summer days pass far too fast. I can't believe it's already the middle of July. I had a "To Do" list which I've barely acknowledged...all these grand plans to get organized, clear out the clutter and my all time favorite - work out. So far I've managed to add to the clutter, stack the clutter a bit more neatly and my only work out has been lugging the beach stuff from the car to the beach.

The one thing I have done is spend much more time at the beach, much to my 9 year old son's delight. I love watching him body surf - okay so it is really just him getting pounded by the waves and ending up with half the beach in his swim trunks. But he loves it!

I enjoy watching all the people. All shapes, sizes and ages. I've observed there are 3 kinds of beach goers. The minimalists who show up with a towel and sunscreen. The average (like me) who bring a beach chair, towels, a small tote with a couple of waters/Diet Coke, sunscreen and a some good reading material. Then there are the die hards who come with a summer's worth of camping equipment. They spend a half hour carting it from the car to the beach, another half hour setting it all up...and then get take it all down and lug it back to the car. I've seen full on gourmet meals complete with china! It looks very impressive. But way more work than I'm willing to give. However, I keep thinking it would be awesome to bring dinner to beach and watch the sun go down. Hmmmm...maybe a way to celebrate the end of summer.

I'm always amazed at how many people I talk to who rarely go to the beach. They don't have the time, hate the sand, hate the salt water, etc. They are missing an amazing treat. It is beautiful, relaxing, and refreshing. You can't be sad at the beach. It is such a wonderful creation and I thank the God who created its beauty for allowing me to enjoy it everyday.

If you live near the beach...take the time to squish the sand between your toes, jump in a wave or two, watch the sunset, and give thanks to our wonderful Creator.

As Mrs. Bennett would say "A little sea-bathing would set me up for ever". I wholeheartedly agree!

No comments: